Thread: The giving tree

The giving tree

THE GIVING TREE

Several years ago somebody (from AzBassZone) gave me a half decent boat trailer for free. I gave them a utility trailer they could use in exchange, but they didn't know I was reciprocating until I showed up. They actually met me halfway between Phoenix and Yuma to just give me a free trailer (with title no less). Totally for free. Cost me nothing and the trailer I gave them was because I am that kind of guy. They needed it and they were giving me something I needed.

I wound up not using the trailer. It had mismatched axles and the axle hanger hardware seemed a little wonky. It sat out back of my shop for a while...

Then one day I needed some bucket forks for my tractor. I cut some of the long straight pieces of C channel out of the frame and made myself some forks. The load got unloaded. I've since purchased actual bucket forks, but the home made ones worked.

A buddy of mine took the steel wheels off the trailer because the mag wheels on his boat trailer were cracking.

Another buddy put the winch off the trailer on a boat trailer he was working on.

I pulled one of the axles and shortened it to go under the trailer for my jon boat so I could run bigger wheels and tires.

The other axle used and odd size wheel hub and I managed to break the casting somehow doing something. Had a couple folks interested in buying the axle, but they never came through.

I have all the leaf springs stacked up out back for project metal, and a couple of them I used to mount farm implements.

The pieces of that trailer have easily fixed or helped make a dozen other projects.

Yesterday I found a use for that other axle. Well most of it. It was made from 2 x 2 x 1/4 square tube. Now its an almost finished (need to add two diagonal braces yet) a 3 point hitch for moving trailers that I can just drop right into the Quick Hitch on my tractor.

Its not done yet. There are still some heavy u-bolts, fenders, steel tread plate steps springs and even some bits of C-channel left.

I don't know who it was that gave me the trailer. I am sorry it didn't get used for its intended purpose, but I have to say it has been invaluable to me over the years. Whoever you are. Wherever you are. Thank you very much.

Good read, Wish there were more goodness in the world.