Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deer hunts

Nice job, my 2 son's killed 2 cows on friday. Meat in the freezer. I'll post a pic but can't figure it out.

archery season next month I get another chance

Well I kinda redeemed myself. I went up to 3b for the muzzleloader bull hunt with my goals of a 375 bull. after day one seeing nothing I lowered my standards a bit to a 300 bull. Day 2 still nothing so I again lower my standards to a rag horn split rack. Nothing so I again lowered my standards to the first one with horns I see I shoot. Ran into a spike and 220 lbs of elk at the butcher. I would have loved to gotten a really nice bull but it was drier than a popcorn fart with the full moon all night and the elk went to the rez to hide. At least I got one with my bone collector. I will never not be amazed with how tough an elk is. I hit him in both shoulders but did not break a bone and took out his heart and he still mozied off 75 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Well I kinda redeemed myself. I went up to 3b for the muzzleloader bull hunt with my goals of a 375 bull. after day one seeing nothing I lowered my standards a bit to a 300 bull. Day 2 still nothing so I again lower my standards to a rag horn split rack. Nothing so I again lowered my standards to the first one with horns I see I shoot. Ran into a spike and 220 lbs of elk at the butcher. I would have loved to gotten a really nice bull but it was drier than a popcorn fart with the full moon all night and the elk went to the rez to hide. At least I got one with my bone collector. I will never not be amazed with how tough an elk is. I hit him in both shoulders but did not break a bone and took out his heart and he still mozied off 75 yards.
    Congrats paul

Congrats on getting your elk Paul. But dang, 375 to aNY bull in 3 days. Let's be realistic. The one you killed will be alot better eating fore sure.

Yes it will be better eating. The harvest has been really slow up there. The larger bulls were few and far between. I only saw one rag horn 5x taken in the four days I was there. I probably got a little impatient but I came home with tag soup 16 years ago when I had my last tag, passing on a 6x the first morning at 35 years. At least I am eating elk this year

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Yes it will be better eating. The harvest has been really slow up there. The larger bulls were few and far between. I only saw one rag horn 5x taken in the four days I was there. I probably got a little impatient but I came home with tag soup 16 years ago when I had my last tag, passing on a 6x the first morning at 35 years. At least I am eating elk this year
    Harvest? This is AZ, we don't harvest, we kill shit here.