Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell Report

Lake Powell Report

I had an opportunity to take a couple of my young single adults (Drew and Mark Hatch) from my church that never get to fish, to Lake Powell today and did they get a workout!

We began with them fishing bait for stripers and from 8:30 - 10:30 they caught 65 and said they'd had enough of the 'no talent approach' and so we then toured the lake a bit, hit Dangling Rope Marina for ice cream and lunch, and then went bass fishing. They picked up on that pretty quickly as well using the Ned Rig and another 45 fish got added before we quit at 3:30. Once again another big bass was on but snookered the one newbie just before he could land it. The bass fishing was NOT as good as it had been the previous 5 weeks but we could've stayed and caught hundreds more stripers if that had not got old so soon.

Low 80's air temp in PM, low 70's water temp, lake rising several feet a week now

Sam Sherwood
    Mesa, AZ
    5/14/19
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice!! Thanks Sam. (Would somebody please teach Sam how to load pictures right side up?)

Nice bunch of fish tacos there. Thanks for pics, even though my neck hurts now.
    "Treat everyone with Dignity and Respect, not because of who they are, But because of who you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Bassguru View Post
    Nice!! Thanks Sam. (Would somebody please teach Sam how to load pictures right side up?)
    Sorry y'all, I hate crooked pics as much as the next guy and I'd love a tutorial on how to have the pictures right but they post just like they are taken on emails, etc and at the end of a long day when I do these reports last thing and the pics are crooked, I'm done with trying to figure out the trick to get them rotated.

Nice! Were taking some of ours up first week of June on our houseboat. 42 of them in total. It will be a hand full, hopefully we catch some fish.

Holy crap 42 ? You have way more than a handfull Ryan .
    Sam how was the cut with the water rising ? Is it open yet ?
    Nice report Sam looks like a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by catchandrelease View Post
    Holy crap 42 ? You have way more than a handfull Ryan .
    Sam how was the cut with the water rising ? Is it open yet ?
    Nice report Sam looks like a good time.
    The cut won't be open for at least a few weeks supposedly. I used the Antelope valet service for the first and probably last time. It does save some miles/gas/rough water but by the time you wait for them to unlock the gate to let you in and then out and then launch and retrieve...not so sure you wouldn't be to Gregory Butte AND the 18 yr old kid inspecting us after just one day on the water claimed we had mussels on the hull and insisted we go to Wahweap and get deconed and then left and came back and said we could go back to Mesa and call G&F and pay for it to happen in Phx. Called G&F today and the lady knew right away without asking I'd launched out of Antelope after having 'lots of such calls over the last week'. Good chance the kid didn't even know what a mussel looked like and he certainly never showed me and it would've been the first time ever to have one even after being on the lake for multiple days and camping in previous years. I'm all good with not taking them elsewhere but I did tell him the boat would sit in my Mesa garage for a week or two in the heat to kill any and the next lake would be Powell again, that already has the problem....

Thanks Alpen for rotating the pics! Can't wait for someone to say they're too big or small though.
    Last edited by Sam Sherwood; 05-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.

cool pics, looks like they had fun

We used the valet at antelope last week. Like it. There was a bit of a wait to get picked up. That walk up wahweap is a bitch any more. Did you clean all those striper? The most we ever cleaned was a round 80, no more.
    Name:  TOON.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  122.4 KB
    BAD DAY OF FISHING AND SHOOTING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING.