Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell

Lake Powell

I took the Gilbert, AZ Reay boys up to Lake Powell for a few days although I thought we were several weeks early with the prolonged cold temps. We started fishing in the Dove Canyon area at 12:30 on Friday and headed in before 6:30. Low water level like I don't ever remember seeing before but I don't remember all that much these days. We caught 59 with the biggest a LM about 3.5 but quite a few nice LM getting ready to spawn. About 20 LM, a dozen stripers, and the rest SM. They were in '5-'15 with all the stripers in shallow, the LM not far behind. A couple of crank and chatter bait fish and all the rest on TRD. 55 degree water temp in the mornings and 60 in the afternoon. On Sat I trolled them around in the back of Navajo Canyon for stripers for a few hours in the AM but only caught 4 and one carp. We headed off to the back of another canyon 5 miles away and got right back on the bass before leaving mid afternoon. Take a good coat or two!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Going up 2nd week of may.
    BAD DAY OF FISHING AND SHOOTING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING.

Nice, Man wish I were retired to go do stuff like you guys are doing. Nice Crappie.
    "Treat everyone with Dignity and Respect, not because of who they are, But because of who you are."

Am i correct assuming the cut is closed ?

Quote Originally Posted by catchandrelease View Post
    Am i correct assuming the cut is closed ?
    Was there yesterday, You can use the cut if you get out and walk thru it. Antelope ramp has a 6' cliff at the end of it.
    Wahweap marina ramp and private Antelope ramp are usable.
    Water Temp was 58 when we left. Bass were staging. Should be a blast next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    was there yesterday, you can use the cut if you get out and walk thru it. Antelope ramp has a 6' cliff at the end of it.
    Wahweap marina ramp and private antelope ramp are usable.
    Water temp was 58 when we left. Bass were staging. Should be a blast next weekend.
    good to here. Should be good in may.
    BAD DAY OF FISHING AND SHOOTING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLEINTHEWATER View Post
    good to here. Should be good in may.
    I am not sure of that, lake is still dropping 2-3" a day. I think it needs to come up 6' plus for the cut to be of any use.

I looked at the current water level and it said is was at 3700 ft , with that being said the cut should be very full , last year in Sept it was at a little less than 3600 and 12 ft deep which made it passable for the house boat . Current report says 100 ft above last year ? Don`t know but eyes on the water and being there is better than some reports I guess . Heading up again in Sept. for 7 days with the house boat , bass boat and Sea Ray , hope the cut will be open but if not just take a while longer to get to the main lake . Nicer beaches when the water is down and more limited at 3700 ft. Will see how it goes.
    Well I just went back and looked at the water level again , I read it wrong , it`s 131 ft below full pool which puts it at 3569 ft .
    Probably only about of foot or 2 of water in the cut.
    Last edited by catchandrelease; 04-07-2019 at 05:40 PM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3374 Upside down Photo from a month ago, hope you have better luck than the tractor. (I can not figure out how to turn it right side up.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-08-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Name:  56905029_1072303032961310_7164674395179319296_n.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  The Cut.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  226.9 KB
    Last edited by UserName; 04-08-2019 at 05:01 AM.
    "If it got any better I couldn't stand it"