Thread: Uds

Uds

Built myself a UDS (ugly drum smoker) I just fired it up today to do a burn in, no food. I put 12 lbs of charcoal in the basket and dropped in about 10 lit coals. it shot up to over 300 degrees. Choked it down and it stayed between 223 and 235 for over four hours. Shut it down and the temp was at 110 within 45 minutes. Took a look at the charcoal and it only used about a third of them. The basket will hold a full 18 lb bag of charcoal along with a bunch of hardwood chunks. Pretty sure I'm looking at a 14 hour (brisket) smoke with one load of fuel. Cant wait to cook this coming weekend. Thinking ribs (done in about 6 hours) and a brisket for the next day. I got less that a hundred dollars in this thing. My buddy just spent over 2K for a yoder pellet smoker. We're gonna see how they compare in terms of BBQ.Name:  35162121_10212109408835421_819941756823928832_n.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  86.1 KBName:  smoker2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  95.1 KBName:  smoker3.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  65.3 KB
    "What the hell is a Wrinkleneck?" *Snoop Dogg*, 2016

That's cool.

Looks good.. Where did you buy the drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevert View Post
    Looks good.. Where did you buy the drum?
    dude in tucson buys unrefined honey from mexico in 55 gallon drums. He sells the empty drums on CL for $10 each.

I'm on my second one. I've been using them for over 5 years and have smoked everything from pork butts, to ribs, to brisket , and even a hind quarter of a buddies deer
    It is the easiest smoker I've ever used. I can put a 16lb bag of mesquite/ oak/ whatever charcoal in the basket. Start about 9 bricketes until they are about 3/4 gray, and put them down at the bottom threw a hole I left in the rest of the charcoal and close the lid. I check it an hour later to see if it's at 225 and let it go ALL NIGHT.. 1 bag will last 12 hours at 225 degrees

the barrels that DON'T have the locking ring and removable lid, are actually smaller diameter and you can use a Weber grill dome lid ( I think its like 22.5") which already has the handle, the vent and the clip to hang it on the side of the barrel.

the best directions I found were on Popular Mechanics article under Ugly Drum Smoker. They give you all the dimensions you need to get everything set up and ready to cook.
    I think the most I've spent on either one was like 72 bucks and that's with the drum. The best place for the drums is Craigs List. 10 to 15 bucks tops

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher View Post
    I'm on my second one. I've been using them for over 5 years and have smoked everything from pork butts, to ribs, to brisket , and even a hind quarter of a buddies deer
    It is the easiest smoker I've ever used. I can put a 16lb bag of mesquite/ oak/ whatever charcoal in the basket. Start about 9 bricketes until they are about 3/4 gray, and put them down at the bottom threw a hole I left in the rest of the charcoal and close the lid. I check it an hour later to see if it's at 225 and let it go ALL NIGHT.. 1 bag will last 12 hours at 225 degrees

the barrels that DON'T have the locking ring and removable lid, are actually smaller diameter and you can use a Weber grill dome lid ( I think its like 22.5") which already has the handle, the vent and the clip to hang it on the side of the barrel.

the best directions I found were on Popular Mechanics article under Ugly Drum Smoker. They give you all the dimensions you need to get everything set up and ready to cook.
    I think the most I've spent on either one was like 72 bucks and that's with the drum. The best place for the drums is Craigs List. 10 to 15 bucks tops
    how long did your first one last and why/how did it fail?

^^^^ Never did fail. I knew I wanted the drum that would fit the Weber grill lid, so I bought a different drum (with the solid lid and the 2 bung holes) and started over. I gave my 1st barrel to a buddy down the street and he's still using it as far as I know.
    Yours looks like it has 3 levels / grill racks, but mine only has 2. Do you have to rotate the top to the bottom 1/2 way threw the cook time so you don't burn / or dry out the meat on the lower rack ???
    I can fit 6, -- 9+lbs pork butts on the 2 racks at the same time and let me tell ya, that's a shit-ton of meat.
    I do up a couple butts every year for our Mexico fishing trip and the guys really love the pulled pork for dinner and it's about as easy of a meal as you can do. I freeze them before I leave in 1 gal. ziplock bags. It takes 5min on each side in the microwave and its good to go.
    Good luck with your dude. You're going to love it, its so frickin easy

^^yeah, I can't wait to cook in it this weekend. The third rack is to hold a drip/water pan or a defuser plate if i want to. I'm used to using a water pan in my old stick burner so I wanted the option. Don't know if I'll use it but it's there.
    Last edited by FLHX; 06-26-2018 at 07:10 PM.

you better get Skunko!'s permission and follow his every direction on how to cook in it. he is the resident expert on all things grilling and life in general. he is like ****ing yoda of life!

on a real note, nice and enjoy that thing. I have had people ask wtf is that? I tell them and they say I am not eating anything out of that. they always do and cant believe the flavor!
    SEMPER FI

Don't hate. Been telling you morons for years but nobody listens.