PDA

View Full Version : 6-19-17

eo3510
06-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Pft. Dinks in Jackass, dinks in Coles, dinks at lava island. Dinks, dinks, dinks. :mad:

stevtech
06-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the report. Maybe they are in the deep lake already or up in the river.
I have ordered a deep six diving board and I think I am going to try trolling, to try and find them.

eo3510
06-19-2017, 05:24 PM
A weird start to this season.

HugeEuge57
06-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Tires were still slow Friday night. We caught 3 and missed a half dozen quick bites. 1 keeper landed.

RoboX
06-20-2017, 09:53 AM
usually this time of year is great maybe they all moved into deeper water near the river for the cooler temps. I have been wanting to go but these reports have kept me home.

Roosevelt Mark
06-20-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't understand why plez don't spit out monster stripers yet. The back been in their long enough, you would think 20 lbers would be common. It like they never get any bigger.

eo3510
06-20-2017, 12:16 PM
usually this time of year is great maybe they all moved into deeper water near the river for the cooler temps. I have been wanting to go but these reports have kept me home.

Well if you find some please let us know.

eo3510
06-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Tires were still slow Friday night. We caught 3 and missed a half dozen quick bites. 1 keeper landed.

I was going to try the tires this coming Friday with Anthony, now I'm not sure.

eo3510
06-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Surface temp is only 78-80 right now so not too hot. Lake is still up so LOTS of cooler water available everywhere. There was someone across from us Sunday at 1702 and we didn't hear any hooting out of them at all. As a matter of fact, they must have been bored enough that they were launching bottle rockets.

Basman1313
06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
I don't understand why plez don't spit out monster stripers yet. The back been in their long enough, you would think 20 lbers would be common. It like they never get any bigger.

Most likely the same issue as the LM. That lake has no nutrients in it except the few times we get BIG rains and the river runs. Even then, most that "colored water" doesn't reach the main lake.

If you take a glass full of dirty water, pour half out and refill with clear water......and do that over and over, sooner or later you will have clear water.

The water pumped in from the CAP has no nutrients or color, it is gin clear.

Then factor in that most of the trees on the bank have been torn down for fire wood by campers. Which means there isn't a whole lot of vegetation getting flooded when it is refilled every year.

HugeEuge57
06-20-2017, 12:36 PM
I was going to try the tires this coming Friday with Anthony, now I'm not sure.

I may go back this weekend....the following weekend we have a Heroes on the Water outing at the tires so I want to make sure it's worth it or we'll figure out some place further north. Last year the water was warmer and shallower so I think that had something to do with it...this hot as shit weather should kick it off. The water is dropping too.

basstrix
06-20-2017, 01:04 PM
...throw in the quagga muscles and any nutrients that flow in get cleansed pretty quickly....maybe the need to add that small fish that eats quaggas...give the bigger fish another food source.

Striper Mike
06-20-2017, 01:05 PM
I fished the marina and found some at night and early morning. They were cruising around 25'-30' deep but in over 100' of water so they are still running shallow. Biggest about 5lbs. It will pick up in a few weeks.

HugeEuge57
06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah all of our bites at the tires came in 30ish feet in 85 feet of water.

eo3510
06-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah all of our bites at the tires came in 30ish feet in 85 feet of water.

That's how it was at all the spots I've tried so far. Nothing cruising below the bait ball.

HugeEuge57
06-20-2017, 03:28 PM
We had 3 guys with 6 rods going from a few feet below the light to the bottom and everything in between. Last year the tires were solid all summer and early fall....crazy how this year everything is just off.

Roosevelt Mark
06-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Most likely the same issue as the LM. That lake has no nutrients in it except the few times we get BIG rains and the river runs. Even then, most that "colored water" doesn't reach the main lake.

If you take a glass full of dirty water, pour half out and refill with clear water......and do that over and over, sooner or later you will have clear water.

Then factor in that most of the trees on the bank have been torn down for fire wood by campers. Which means there isn't a whole lot of vegetation getting flooded when it is refilled every year.

Makes sense. If you look back east where they catch huge stripers it's usually on a river lake chain. Thanks.

catchandrelease
06-20-2017, 05:40 PM
There have been some big ones caught at Plez and Powell just few and far between. Don`t know if it`s due to how they reproduce in numbers and take a long time to grow along with the amount of forage available. The more of the smaller ones you take out will help the population grow larger on both lakes.

Striper Mike
06-23-2017, 09:11 PM
I heard from a friend that a guy he knows couldn't hardly get bit on anchovies so he started using nightcrawlers messing around and caught quite a few but nothing over 5lbs.
Very first striper I caught out of that lake was on a crawler on the bottom while shore fishing. Give that a try while out drowning choices. Hope the event goes smooth and you guys get the heros on a ton of fish.

HOLEINTHEWATER
06-24-2017, 11:40 AM
friend and I were catching them on chicken liver one time.

Nudepygmy
06-24-2017, 04:40 PM

That... and there's too many stripers. Thin the herd!

eo3510
06-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Been keeping all the gut hooked dinks the last few trips. They seem to make good fertilizer.

Striper Mike
07-08-2017, 07:33 PM
The gizzard shad population is exploding right now which will provide more forage BUT only if that lake can sustain enough nutrients to keep the shad population booming.
Also a shit ton of crappie right now, just hand size though but have found some big enough to keep but put back.

Skunko!
07-08-2017, 08:45 PM
It's all Flathead forage. From 6 ounces to 10 lbs. Gonna be a record outta that lake one day.